Common Errors with Nouns


Both these words (either with 'ce' or 't') are nouns but they have to be used correctly depending on the context. Incorrect use of the word can change the entire meaning of your sentence.

1) Assistant and Assistance

Assistant : Person (who assists / helps)
"mean boss" "mad" "annoyed" "boss" "clip art"For example :
A) I recently hired an assistant.
B) I hate being his assistant as he is very hot-tempered.
C) Assistant Manager

Assistance
the help or support given (more of an action)
For example :
A) I need her assistance (this means I need her help).
IF YOU SAY : 
I need your assistant (that means you are saying, you need the person. For example, Ms. A is the assistant to Mr. B. If you tell Mr. B : I need your assistant = that means you need Ms. A).
B) Please give me your assistance.
C) Without her assistance, I could not have managed.
D) I need assistance with my work, so I hired a new assistant. 


2) Resident and residence

Resident : A PERSON who resides (stays) in a place.
"young doctor" "resident"For Example :
A) She is a resident of that hostel.
B) I was a resident there for many years.

Resident also refer to a junior doctor : 
For example : She is a third year resident.


Residence : PLACE, where a person stays or resides.
A) Her residence is in Penang 
(her home / house is in Penang)
This is different from : She is a Penang resident.
(resident is used because it refers to the person NOT the house)
"Wedding" "Venue" "Wedding Place"
(You CANNOT SAY: I'm a Penang Residence (X) because this means you are saying you are a house).

B) The wedding will be held at my residence

 

Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

0 comments:

Post a Comment