Common Errors : Homophones - Hear/Here

Homophones are words that have different spellings and meanings but the SAME pronunciation.

Here and Hear

Here

In this place or spot.
Happening now
For example :
1) She will bring her children here.
2) Here is my answer.
"handbag" "slingbag" "purse"
Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net
3) I will be leaving for the trip from here.
4) I am very sure I left my handbag here.


Idioms

here and now
immediately / without delay

For example :
1) We must settle this problem here and now.

here and there
this place and that / all over the place
For example
"cute cat" "kitty" "gif"1) When his cat went missing, he drove here and there looking for it.  
2) He has worked here and there, not really the best candidate for our company.  
3) I have been here and there but it is time I settled down.

here goes
This phrase is usually used before one does something one does not want, usually an unpleasant, scary or difficult task.
For example :
"ski smiley" "animated ski" "gif" "smiley" "sports smiley"1) You have asked me to ski down this mountain slope, so here goes!
2) I do not want to do this but here goes! Wish me Luck!

Here's to
It is a salutation that you use to wish someone / 
used in proposing a toast to someone
For example :
1) Here's to a safe journey. Bon Voyage!
2) Here's to a happy married life.
"goodbye" "animated" "Bon Voyage" "See you" "smiley"Bon Voyage :
is a French saying that means “good journey”. 
It is translated to mean “Have a good trip”.
You CANNOT say “Happy Bon Voyage”. 
The correct terms is : “Bon Voyage”.


Hear

to listen / find out something / pay attention to something / to be told something
For example :
1) Did you hear the news?
2) Where did you hear that?
3) Did you hear that loud noise?
4) My teacher refused to hear my side of the story.

Saying
Hear! Hear!
This saying is used to express approval of something, usually a speech / It is a listener's agreement of the points made by the speaker.
For example, in a debate. If you agree with the points made by the speaker, you can shout “Hear! Hear!”.
Another example is a Committee Meeting and a new Secretary or Treasurer has been nominated. 
If you agree, then you can shout “Hear! Hear!”.
This saying is commonly used in parliament.


"blah blah blah" "animated smiley" "smiley" "rambling" "headache" "talkative" "never hear the end of it"
Idioms

never hear the end of
To be continuously reminded of something / for someone to continuously talk about something
For example :
1) If you do not ask her to marry you now, you will never hear the end of it from her.
2) If I do not buy that toy car for my son, I will never hear the end of it from him.
"animated" "speech" "gif"3) You do realize that if she wins that award, we will never hear the end of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment